Friday, September 30, 2005

I decided I don't like grownups

I far prefer to talk and hang out with kids, especially the younger ones.

It seems to me that any group of grownups that consists of more than 1 or 2 people will inevitably have as a member somebody that starts some juvenuile sexual innuendo. Guess what? I'm not Beavis. I've probably seen and heard most of what there is to see and hear, and you're not gonna shock me, or make me laugh. You're gonna bore me.

Grownups also tend to smell nasty, whether it be from cigarettes, booze, or perfume applied by the gallon. Yecch.

This world I live in, I know so well that my familiarity often breeds contempt. The streets, the stores, the sounds.

However, when I talk to my 4 year old, she sees this whole world of wonder, and most of the time she points something out to me I never considered. Like the writing on the side of the water tower, or the balloon flying as an advertisement above the restaurant. She thinks smoking is nasty, doesn't drink, and mainly just wants to look around in wonder in the same space I often find myself repelled in. Her perspective very often renews mine, and improves my mood considerably.

My 2 year old doesn't talk so well yet, but I see the sparkle in her eyes whenever we go down to the river, or to the park. And she is just thrilled by things like a squirrel climbing a tree, or a train rolling down the track. That same train would undoubtedly piss me off if she weren't in the car with me, because I'd see it as blocking my way.

Sometimes the view from a lower altitude is a much nicer view. Try talking to someone down in that altitude sometime, and you'll see what I mean.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jolly Roger said...

How do we get so far from where we started anyway? We become so corrupt and mean. It's a shame, really.

And no, Shannon, you are enchanting, always. I appreciate your perspective :)

7:14 PM  
Blogger Jolly Roger said...

You saw my post on bands I've seen. There's yer clue about how old I must be :)

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home