Monday, October 03, 2005

Mellowing, with Zeppelin

When I was a teenager, I was very much inclined to hard rock-AC/DC, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, UFO, Scorpions.... you get the picture.

And of course, Led Zeppelin. I just loved songs like "Black Dog," "Stairway to Heaven,".... you get the idea.

And these days, I find myself listening again to Zeppelin-but I find it's the folk-tale stuff they did that I find especially to my liking. "Battle of Evermore," "Gallows Pole," it's like there was this whole Zeppelin I knew nothing about as a stupid stoner teenager.

Ultimately, this catalog of Zeppelin will likely be the one that stands the test of time and becomes part of the folk history it celebrates. Plant and Page are the traveling storytellers of our era.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jolly Roger said...

My 1 year old likes any kind of music video. My 4 year old likes cartoons.

The twain pretty much never meets ;)

7:37 AM  
Blogger Jolly Roger said...

I did, strangely enough, pick up an appreciation for a lot of the "big band" stuff from my dad-Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, Kay Kiser. I also still like Sinatra, Dinah Shore, Bing Crosby-it was an interesting era.

Dad also liked Fats Domino, which without doubt led me directly to the blues, which led me to the Stones, and Yardbirds, and Zeppelin, and Aerosmith... you know the deal. I saw BB King on TV the other day, and he can still make the guitar wail at 80 years old.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Jolly Roger said...

There are other examples of great blues guitarists who weren't that old (like Stevie Ray Vaughan) or aren't that old (like Eric Gales.) I think it's probably something that is born in you-I'm not sure that if you don't "have it" to begin with, that you ever get it.

If you like excellent blues guitarists, you should check out Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown. The guy is a God among a small, devoted set of fans.

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home